The Chinese Zodiac Characteristics
RAT is the first sign of the lunar calendar.
I am a self-proclaimed inquisitor. I am a link yet I function as a complete unit. I aim at encompassing heights and strike my target, sure and steady. Life is one joyous journey for me. Each search must end with a new quest. I am progress, exploration and insight. I am the womb of activity.
- Charming, innovative and intelligent
- Forthright, inquisitive and intrusive but always in a disarmingly honest way
- Excels in business, alert to opportunities
- Easy to get along with, hardworking and thrifty
- Generous to those you are fond of
- Can be easily agitated but maintains self control, gaining many friends
- Bright, fun-loving, social, occasionally critical or grouchy
- Female rats may be especially frugal, but usually not with their own children
- Overambitious at times
Hang out with Ox, Dragon, Snake, Monkey, you’ll get along well. Tiger, Dog, Boar or another Rat will also provide good company. Avoid Horse, and you may want to steer clear of the Rooster and Goat.
OX is the second sign of the lunar calendar.
Mine is a stabilizing force that perpetuates the cycle of life. I stand immobile against the test of adversity, resolute and unimpeachable. I seek to serve integrity, to the burdens of righteousness. I abide by the laws of nature patiently pushing the wheel of Fate. Thus, I shall weave my own destiny.
- Symbolizes the attainment of prosperity through fortitude and hard work
- Dependable, calm, methodical
- Patient and tireless worker, sticks to routines and conventions
- Generally fair-minded and a good listener but difficult to change his mind
- With affairs of the heart, the Ox can be naïve, not fully comprehending the entrapments of love. Don’t expect poetry and romanticism. They will be inclined to long courtships.
- Charitable by nature, backbone of society
- May hold grudges for long periods of time
- Knows how to give orders as well as taking them
Stick with the Snake and Rooster, watch out for Goat!
TIGER is the third sign of the lunar calendar.
I am a delightful paradox. The entire world is my stage. I set new trails ablaze; I seek the unattainable, and try the untried. I dance to life's music in gay abandon. Come with me on my carousel rides. See the myriad of colors, the flickering lights. All hail the unparalleled performer, me.
- Symbolizes power, passion and daring
- A rebellious, colorful and unpredictable character, commanding awe and respect from all quarters
- Impulsive and vivacious, restless and reckless. Loves being the center of attention.
- Has humanitarian instincts, loves babies, endangered species
- Whatever the current object of adulation is, everything else will take second place
- The tiger can be aspiring and adventurous, trusting their own luck and charisma to see them through tough times and eventually bring successes
- Female tigers are fashion conscious, articulate and liberated
- May have large ego, but romantic at heart
The Horse and Dog will provide wonderful friendships; Monkey is not a good fit for you!
RABBIT is the fourth sign of the lunar calendar.
I am in tune with the pulse of the universe. In my quiet solitude I hear the melodies of the soul. I float above commonplace dissent and decay. I am subdued by my ability to conform. I color my world in delicate pastel hues. I epitomize harmony and inner peace.
- Considered very fortunate
- Serves as a symbol of longevity, said to derive it’s essence from the moon
- Soul of graciousness, good manners, sound counsel, kindness and sensitivity to beauty
- Soft-spoken, graceful and elegant
- Naturally reserved, artistic and likely to possess good judgment
- Lucky in business, thorough and will shine in fields of law, government and research
- Can be cunning, and even ruthless, suave and self-indulgent
- Strong-willed and self-assure, pursuing objectives with methodical precision
- Ms. Rabbit is delightful and her company is highly sought after, but when she feels she’s had enough will drop whatever she is doing to rest
Best Rabbit matches are Goat and Boar- your opposite is the Rooster!
DRAGON is the fifth sign of the lunar calendar.
I am an unquenchable fire, the center of all energy, the stout heroic heart. I am truth and light, I hold power and glory in my sway. My presence disperses dark clouds. I have been chosen to tame the Fates.
- Magnanimous and full of vitality and strength
- Constantly on the go, egoistical and eccentric, dogmatic, whimsical and demanding, but never without and band of admirers
- Dragon children tend to assume the burdens and responsibilities of a family
- Energetic and eager with the potential to accomplish great things. But, if not careful to contain enthusiasm, can burn up in smoke.
- Powerful and difficult to oppose, prosperous, but prone to megalomania and intimidation
- Despite his ways is loyal to friends and family
- Don’t expect a Dragon to be overly sentimental or romantic
- A super positive person
- It is said that Dragons born during a storm will lead a tempestuous and hazardous life, while those born during calm seas and heavens will live a more protected and amiable life
Dragons, befriend the Rat and Monkey- avoid the Dog.
SNAKE is the sixth sign of the lunar calendar.
Mine is the wisdom of the ages. I hold the key to the mysteries of life. Casting my seeds on fertile ground, I nurture them with constancy and purpose. My sights are fixed. My gaze remains unchanged. Unyielding, inexorable and deep, I advance with steady gait, the solid earth beneath me.
- Philosopher, theologian, political wizard, wily fancier- the Snake is the deepest thinker and the enigma
- Endowed with a personal wisdom
- Graceful and soft-spoken, will gravitate naturally towards the finer things in life
- Very beautiful
- Generally relies on their own judgment, not working well with others, trusting their own instincts rather than outside advice
- By nature is skeptical, but will keep his suspicions to himself
- One of the most tenacious signs, never stops plotting and can be viciously unrelenting. Can be possessive and demanding in relationships.
- Snake women are the original femme fatale, if she doesn’t have money and power she will marry into it, and won’t agonize over women’s rights. She will be her husbands’ best asset.
Ox and Rooster are your fellow intellectuals; Snake and Boar do not mix well!
HORSE is the seventh sign of the lunar calendar.
I am the Kaleidoscope of the mind. I impart light, color and perpetual motion. I think, I see, I am moved by electric fluidity. Constant only in my inconstancy, I am unshackled by mundane holds, unchecked by sturdy, binding goals. I run unimpeded through virgin paths. My spirit unconquered, my soul forever free.
- Cheerful, popular and quick-witted, although can be hot-tempered and headstrong at times
- The unpredictable horse can fall in and out of love easily
- Warmly appealing, has a love of sports, outdoor activities and animals
- Natives of this sign are often called playboys or playgirls, but is just as skillful in business as in love
- Can be impulsive and stubborn. known for an explosive nature
- The intelligent horse is performance and success oriented
- Quick to build up speed and quick o lose interest
- The lady horse is full of spunk
The Tiger and Dog are fellow idealists and will provide good relationships, the Rat is its exact opposite.
GOAT is the eighth sign of the lunar calendar.
I am nature's special child. I trust and am rewarded by trust. Fortune smiles upon my countenance. All things blossom in the gentleness of my love. I strive to find beauty in all I behold. I am fair of face and full of grace.
- The Samaritan, righteous, sincere and easily taken by sob stories
- Well mannered, even shy. Gentle and compassionate.
- At his best, is artistic, fashionable and creative, worst, is easily overcome by emotions, depressed and withdrawn
- Dislikes strict schedules and too much discipline and criticism.
- Apt to mother and/or smother its object of affection
- Generous and containing fantastic luck and fortune
- The Goat is a worrier and tends to be a pessimist and expects others to cheer him up
- Knack for turning weakness into strength
- Would rather follow others than make decisions, may be criticized for not taking a firm stand when trying to avoid conflicts
Also concerned with their senses, Rabbit and Boar will provide allies- beware the Ox!
MONKEY is the ninth sign of the lunar calendar.
I am the seasoned traveler of the Labyrinth. The genius of alacrity, wizard of the impossible. My brilliance is yet unmatched in its originality. My heart's filled with potent magic that could cast a hundred spells. I am put together for mine own pleasure.
- Sign of the inventor, improviser and motivator, a charlatan capable of drawing everyone to him with guile and charm
- Quick-witted genius, clever, flexible and innovative
- Can solve intricate problems with ease and is a fast learner, no challenge is too great
- May have an inborn superiority complex, with a low level of respect for others, or rather, a too-high level of respect for himself
- Very sociable with the ability to get you on his side
- Never lacking confidence, not matter how docile they appear
- Not completely selfish though, more like a child with a delightful preoccupation in himself
- When talking to a Monkey, be factual
Fellow “Doers”, the Rat and Dragon, complement Monkeys best. Tigers and Monkeys are not a good mix!
ROOSTER is the tenth sign of the lunar calendar.
I am on hand to herald in the day, and to announce its exit. I thrive by clockwork and precision. In my unending quest for perfection all things will be restored to their rightful place. I am the exacting taskmaster, the ever-watchful administrator. I seek perfect order in my world. I represent unfailing dedication.
- The dauntless hero who must look to the earth to survive, he is the most misunderstood and eccentric of all the signs
- The epitome of self-assurance and aggression, but at heart can be conservative and old-fashioned
- Typically two rooster types, the rapid-firing, extremely talkative type, and the deadly somber observers- both equally hard to deal with
- Acute, neat, meticulous, organized, decisive, upright, direct and alert
- Outstanding performer that shines when they are the center of attention, could well pursue any career putting them in the public eye
Stick with the Ox and Snake; dedicated fighters- shy away from Rabbit’s!
DOG is the eleventh sing of the lunar calendar.
The martial strains have summoned me to hear your sorrows, still your pain. I am the protector of Justice. Equality, my sole friend. My vision is never blurred by cowardice, my soul never chained. Life without honor is life in vain.
- Very likeable, honest, intelligent and straightforward
- Deep sense of loyalty and passion for justice and fair play
- Animated and attractive, amiable and unpretentious, can get along with others and is not too demanding
- At times will protect the interests of others more than himself
- Anger can come in bight flashes, but will die quickly too, it will always be justifiable though
- The Dog was born with his defenses up, you will have to gain their confidence slowly
- Will work hard when he wants to, otherwise has a certain “lie by the fire” laziness
- Can be practical, fearless and the owner of a sharp tongue, unrealistic and outspoken
The Dog, Tiger and Horse are united in their quest for idealism, you will find it hard to relax in the presence of the Dragon.
BOAR is the twelfth sign of the lunar calendar.
Of all God's children I have the purest heart. With innocence and faith, I walk in Love's protective light. By giving of myself freely I am richer and twice blest. Bonded to all mankind by common fellowship, my goodwill is universal and knows no bounds.
- The sign of honesty, simplicity and great fortitude
- Gallant, sturdy and courageous, will apply themselves to tasks with all their strength
- May appear rough on the outside, but beyond the surface is different
- A natural person, the original nice guy, popular and sought after
- Seeks universal harmony, will have fights but will not hold grudges
- Equally known for his wantan pursuit of pleasure- sometimes the saint and sinner can be intertwined
- Loyal and thoughtful, will make lasting and beneficial relationships
- The boar will grow on you-you cannot do without him!
- Will welcome a friend and their troubles with open arms
Stick with emotionally and artistically guided signs of the Rabbit and Goat- beware the Snake!
© 2007-2014 Teas Etc., Inc
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Beth Johnston, a tea importer and noted tea expert, publishes an informative monthly newsletter on tea, tea history, health and lifestyle enhancements. To learn more about the world of tea, join her free newsletter at http://www.TeasEtc.com/Newsletter.asp
or visit http://www.TeasEtc.com
This article, including the copyright and "About the Author" section, may be freely reprinted online in its complete and unaltered form provided you send a copy or link
of the reprint to us.
LEARN MORE ABOUT TEA
Read Beth's Tea Blog